I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Friday, July 23, 2004

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

This is your typical Ben Stiller movie - crass, crude, perverse and disturbingly funny. Who would've ever thought that watching grown men get beat up by dodgeballs would be so hilarious? It was a humiliating game when we were younger, but somehow it's cool as a grown up!!

Strangely enough, I found myself biting my nails as the competition went on. And I normally don't find it funny when a poor guy gets picked on, but there's this one teenager in the movie who is so helplessly clumsy and dorky that not only was it funny that he was beaten mercilessly with wrenches, it was necessary!

I have to say that they had the best cameos ever! Having David Hasslehoff and Chuck Norris in the movie was pretty random and pointless, but oh so deliciously naughty!

I felt that Ben Stiller as an egomaniacal bad guy didn't quite work for me, and neither was having Vince Vaughn as a gentle-hearted good guy. It just didn't sit well. But the movie didn't really center on those two....it was all about the obscure professional sport of dodgeball. What could be more satirical than having the championships in Vegas and having Lance Armstrong give the "never give up" speech in the end?

All in all the movie delivered a lot of laughs in the shortest amount of time possible, and when you think about how stupid the subject is, that's quite an accomplishment.