I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Friday, July 23, 2004

Stepford Wives

I suppose this is one of those movies that you just have to see for yourself. I found it very funny, but my friend Phipps found it crappy. To each his own I guess. But let me tell you why I liked it. For one thing, I didn't have very high expectations of it, so I wasn't setting myself up for disappointment. The premise intrigued me: a town that seems nearly perfect simply because the women were "programmed" to be subservient, loving and sexually pleasing. A virtual utopia for the male dorks, geeks and nerds of the world - how can you not find that ridiculously funny??

Glenn Close was soo good at being cheerful and peppy that it was scary. And of course, Christopher Walken was his usual creepy self. True there were moments that were bordeline cheesy, what can you expect? You have a movie where Matthew Broderick is married to the gorgeous Nicole Kidman and he's not happy with here? Aw c'mon! Get real! Then of course they had the token gay guy giving all the punchlines, which I'm afraid to say, was my favorite part of the movie. That should say plenty.

But in any case, I think most people would find it enjoyable if you rented it on dvd on a lazy Sunday afternoon when you've got nothing else to do.