I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Monday, November 01, 2004

Motorcycle Diaries

I don't know how I feel about this movie. Not that I didn't like it, I thought the movie was very well done actually. My confusion stems from the people and story behind it.

It's about a journey, literally and figuratively speaking. Two friends embark on a life-altering trip riding an old motorcycle (hence the title) through the entire continent of Latin America for the simple reason of "having never been." And through their adventures, they grow and change their views in life....ultimately giving life a whole new meaning and purpose for them.

If this journey had been about any regular Joe, I'd have been totally sold on this movie. But it's about Che Guevara, a communist. Should I have felt sympathetic for a man who was at one point in time Castro's right hand man? I don't know.

After watching the movie, though, I had the strongest urge to see Machu Pichu. Cinematography in this movie was breath-taking.