I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Shaun of the Dead


This may very well be the best zombie movie ever made! I swear, I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a very very long while! I don't even know where to start gushing!

Okay, the plot's simple enough. Shaun realizes his relationship is on the rocks when his girlfriend, Liz, tells him she's tired of Shaun's laziness and blames his immature best friend, Ed, for holding him back. After a night of getting sloshed with Ed, Shaun makes it his priority to sort out his life and win Liz back. Only problem was, there's an outbreak of zombies threatening to eat him and everyone he knows. So, he formulates a plan to save his Mum, and his girlfriend and head to the safest place to hide - their favorite pub. Naturally.

The ensuing events had me rolling on the floor laughing, jumping and screaming in fright and even crying! Yes, crying in a scary movie. There were two moments in the film that were so touchingly sad that I couldn't help bawling like a baby.

I like how the movie was written so that it wasn't really about the zombies. They never really explained why there was an outbreak, it was just irrelevant to the plot. Shaun's character in the beginning was so much like a zombie himself by not doing anything exciting, doing the same routine activities day in and day out that he ignored their actual existence despite all the warnings and news flashes he sees.....he even went so far as to insist on not calling them zombies.

In fact, we get so wrapped up in Shaun's issues with his family, friends and love life that the zombies just seemed like an irritation to his life rather than a gore-fest waiting to happen.

And I especially love the dry British humor, it doesn't distract from the scary or dramatic moments in the film. If anything, the British accent makes the film more endearing.

There's plenty to love about this movie - the excellent use of songs by Queen, the great fart jokes, the lack of CGI and the flesh-eating, slow-limping and popping-up-behind-you zombie characterisitcs that we've all grown to love so well. Even George Romero, the man responsible for the golden oldie "Dawn of the Dead", gave his blessing for this movie - can't beat that!