Spiderman 2
Watching this movie made me realize how much of a grown up I am. All throughout the movie, my friend and I made fun of a lot of the scenes and the b/s that came with it all. If you've seen the movie, you'd know what I mean....for one thing, they keep portraying New Yorkers as idiots. The whole bit with that Asian chick singing the Spiderman theme song got on my nerves. They did the same thing with the first Spiderman, except that time it was a cowboy on crack singing the theme song.
And another thing, Kirsten Dunst's role was totally annoying. But then again, I just can't stand her. Her only merit is her face and body and they made sure to sell it in the movie. Toby McGuire, on the other hand, makes a terrific Peter Parker/Spiderman.....and I assure you that has nothing to do with the fact that he's grown into a hottie!!
Anyway, at one point in the movie, I totally spaced off. I think it was that part where the Grandma was trying to do the "pep talk" to Peter. I looked at my watch expecting to see 3 hours had passed by with just that scene, only to find that we've only been there for 45 minutes! It made the rest of the movie just a little bit unbearable.
The love triangle/romance issue, or whatever you call it, between Peter and Mary Jane was lukewarm at best. And Harry Osborn (the Green Goblin's son)? Oiy....why did he have to keep saying, Spiderman killed my father....Spiderman has to pay for killing my father. Inigo Montoya didn't hold THAT much of a grudge against the six-fingered man. By the third time Harry said he had to avenge his father, I was like, "ALRIGHT!! You want to kill Spidey, we get it already!! Sheesh!"
All this is going through my head as I'm watching the movie. And I felt justified for it. But as we were walking out of the theater packed with people of all ages, I overheard several kids just beaming with excitement and awe. I saw a movie with cheesy lines and special effects that were unrealistic....they saw a super hero swinging from building to building to stop crime, using all his strength to stop a speeding train from falling off the tracks, fighting against an evil genius with mechanical arms (which, by the way, was the only thing that really impressed me). Listening to them gush over the movie made me feel so old. When did I become so cynical? I remember the first time I saw Superman when I was a little girl and I remember feeling the same way those kids did about Spiderman.
By the time we got back to my car, I felt like the kid in me was pouting at me for not letting her have a good time at the movie. Search your heart when you watch this movie and let me know if you felt the same way.
And another thing, Kirsten Dunst's role was totally annoying. But then again, I just can't stand her. Her only merit is her face and body and they made sure to sell it in the movie. Toby McGuire, on the other hand, makes a terrific Peter Parker/Spiderman.....and I assure you that has nothing to do with the fact that he's grown into a hottie!!
Anyway, at one point in the movie, I totally spaced off. I think it was that part where the Grandma was trying to do the "pep talk" to Peter. I looked at my watch expecting to see 3 hours had passed by with just that scene, only to find that we've only been there for 45 minutes! It made the rest of the movie just a little bit unbearable.
The love triangle/romance issue, or whatever you call it, between Peter and Mary Jane was lukewarm at best. And Harry Osborn (the Green Goblin's son)? Oiy....why did he have to keep saying, Spiderman killed my father....Spiderman has to pay for killing my father. Inigo Montoya didn't hold THAT much of a grudge against the six-fingered man. By the third time Harry said he had to avenge his father, I was like, "ALRIGHT!! You want to kill Spidey, we get it already!! Sheesh!"
All this is going through my head as I'm watching the movie. And I felt justified for it. But as we were walking out of the theater packed with people of all ages, I overheard several kids just beaming with excitement and awe. I saw a movie with cheesy lines and special effects that were unrealistic....they saw a super hero swinging from building to building to stop crime, using all his strength to stop a speeding train from falling off the tracks, fighting against an evil genius with mechanical arms (which, by the way, was the only thing that really impressed me). Listening to them gush over the movie made me feel so old. When did I become so cynical? I remember the first time I saw Superman when I was a little girl and I remember feeling the same way those kids did about Spiderman.
By the time we got back to my car, I felt like the kid in me was pouting at me for not letting her have a good time at the movie. Search your heart when you watch this movie and let me know if you felt the same way.

<< Home