I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow


I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this movie. On one hand, I really enjoyed the adventure, but on the other hand there were plenty of unanswered questions about the plot that left me unsatisfied.

I have to admit that when the movie started, the musical score gave me goosebumps! It was fairly reminiscent of your Indiana Jones and Superman themes, so right off the bat the music got you pumped for a rock-em, sock-em good time. Unfortunately, it loses its drive after that.

And while I loved the retro look, I don't think it was all that necessary. Actually, at times it was a bit distracting. It's a beautiful film to look at, but where's the story? The character development? Gwyneth Paltrow was supposed to be Jude Law's long-lost love interest.....instead she came off more like a pesky little sister to him.

And to be quite frank, it was a bit insulting to have the story explained and damn near narrated to us, as opposed to letting the story tell itself. The first time I watched it, I was still suffering from a hang over, so maybe I was a little grumpy. But watching it the second time confirmed my first opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still recommend the movie to everyone. But then again, what're your other choices? =P