I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Monday, June 12, 2006

The Break-Up

They say that breaking up is hard to do. Now I know, I know that it's true.


The fact that they didn't squeeze this song into the soundtrack of the movie is probably the biggest reason why I liked this movie. Another reason? The fact that they stuck to the subject matter like crazy glue. This movie's sole purpose in life is to show you what a messy business breaking up is. What happened before and after the break-up was irrelevant. But with that in mind, it made me wonder, why the hell did I just pay $10 to see it?

The movie didn't try to be too clever, or too smart, or too dramatic. And frankly, for a movie with Vince Vaughn in it, it wasn't nearly as funny as I had expected. What struck me most about the movie was how real everything felt. I myself have never gone through a break-up that bad, but you feel like you can empathize with these characters because everything was believable.

Yeah, I can buy that a gorgeous woman who works a 9-5 job and has to come home to a slob who won't help around the house can suddenly get fed up with it. I can buy how someone in a relationship can feel unappreciated, and I can certainly relate to the pointlessness of putting so much effort to care for someone who clearly doesn't deserve it.

And I gotta give mad props to my girl, Brooke (Jennifer Aniston). After how stupid she acted, plotting pathetic jealousy mind games to try to win Gary (Vince Vaugn) back, I was beginnig to lose respect for her. Because why would you want to win him back when he is, very obviously, a jackass? But by the time Gary realizes he is a jackass, she had already had it. That was probably one of my favorite scenes, when she said that she had nothing left to give. I was like, "Oh, that-a-girl!" Cause no woman in her right mind could put up with so much shit and still love the man.

The only thing I didn't like is the ending. I thought it was disjointed. There was a time lapse of who knows how long where the two characters meet again, but that they're different now. So different in fact, that it was awkward to watch them make small talk. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the way they ended it, cause the cliched way to end it would've been to have them back together, but instead, they showed you the possibility of them getting back together. It just felt so awkward, is all.