I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

V For Vendetta

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot;
I know of no reason, why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.


I loved this movie. I was pleasantly surprised by how almost poetic this movie was. It is to be expected from a Wachowski film (makers of The Matrix) to have plenty of action and special effects, even more so because it's based on a graphic novel. But I never expected it to be so dramatic and, dare I say it? Romantic. The chemistry between "V" (Hugo Weaving) and Evey (Natalie Portman) was very well played. It actually reminded me of The Phantom Of The Opera - doomed from the start, but touching nevertheless.

I loved the mixture of history (Guy Fawke's to be precise) and pure fantasy. I loved that it kept me riveted from start to finish. I loved the plot and subplots, and the way each sad and tragic story was told.

I especially loved how it kept you wondering who's the real bad guy. Is "V" a freedom fighter or a terrorist? Will Finch, in his pursuit to uphold the law, realize who's side he's really on? Will Evey be able to avenge her family's death brought upon by a dystopian society that V is hell-bent on destroying or will she be able to teach V to let go of his thirst for vengeance on the people who created the monster that he is?

But I think what really made the movie great was the superb actors in it. It's not easy to portray feelings, thoughts and emotions when you're wearing a mask the whole time, especially when that mask bears a frozen smile. It must've been a challenge for Weaving to deliver his lines without bobbing his head a lot to suggest emotion. But with his body language and soothing voice, V managed to win me over. Coupled with Portman's irresistible charm, I was hooked.

I am not into graphic novels, but whenever a movie is made of one, I make sure to find out if the artist has given it their stamp of approval. I was a little surprised to find out that Alan Moore disowned this movie. But then I also read that he did not like the other movies that was adapted from his graphic novels, namely From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Well, maybe Mr. Moore is just extremely picky.

This is definitely a must-see.