The Island
Don't hate me, but I actually enjoyed this movie. I know it didn't get very good reviews, but who reads reviews anyway?
Oh...I guess you do. :-D
Anyway, the movie was entertaining enough - just get you out of the summer heat and watch a movie that's got a simple plot and a predictable twist. Not a whole lot of brain power needed to figure out what's going to happen, and the two main characters were, I thought, just freakin' adorable. Throw in a lot of explosions, some intense car chases with some very fancy schmancy looking cars and flying vehicles and you got yourself a summer blockbuster...what more could you want?
The story's simple, like I said. A futuristic, and almost utopian civilization has a weekly lottery wherein the lucky winner is sent to an island to live in paradise. The whole civilization's dream is to reach that paradise island. Except for one curious cat by the name of Lincoln 6 Echo, adorably played by Ewan McGregor.
He starts questioning his purpose in their civlization, starts wondering where all the tubes go, even befriends an "outsider" of sorts, someone who works below their civilization where the "special" citizens are restricted from entering.
And that's where the unraveling begins. Lincoln discovers the truth about this so-called Island and somehow manages to rescue his friend, Jordan 2 Delta (Scarlett Johannsen) from being sent to the Island. What ensues is a series of fast-paced chases through the real world, most of which were so off-the-wall I don't know how they managed to keep a straight face through it all.
When things slowed down, there were moments that were touchingly sweet and funny, surprisingly enough. In that scene where Lincoln and Jordan kiss for the first time and Lincoln said, "That tongue thing's amazing," I couldn't help but feel sentimental inside, cause that's exactly how I felt when......but I digress.
Anyway, I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's just bored, it's definitely worth a bucket of buttered popcorn and tub of soda.
Oh...I guess you do. :-D
Anyway, the movie was entertaining enough - just get you out of the summer heat and watch a movie that's got a simple plot and a predictable twist. Not a whole lot of brain power needed to figure out what's going to happen, and the two main characters were, I thought, just freakin' adorable. Throw in a lot of explosions, some intense car chases with some very fancy schmancy looking cars and flying vehicles and you got yourself a summer blockbuster...what more could you want?
The story's simple, like I said. A futuristic, and almost utopian civilization has a weekly lottery wherein the lucky winner is sent to an island to live in paradise. The whole civilization's dream is to reach that paradise island. Except for one curious cat by the name of Lincoln 6 Echo, adorably played by Ewan McGregor.
He starts questioning his purpose in their civlization, starts wondering where all the tubes go, even befriends an "outsider" of sorts, someone who works below their civilization where the "special" citizens are restricted from entering.
And that's where the unraveling begins. Lincoln discovers the truth about this so-called Island and somehow manages to rescue his friend, Jordan 2 Delta (Scarlett Johannsen) from being sent to the Island. What ensues is a series of fast-paced chases through the real world, most of which were so off-the-wall I don't know how they managed to keep a straight face through it all.
When things slowed down, there were moments that were touchingly sweet and funny, surprisingly enough. In that scene where Lincoln and Jordan kiss for the first time and Lincoln said, "That tongue thing's amazing," I couldn't help but feel sentimental inside, cause that's exactly how I felt when......but I digress.
Anyway, I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's just bored, it's definitely worth a bucket of buttered popcorn and tub of soda.

<< Home