I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff. I'd say a large portion of my leisure time is spent watching movies, talking about them, buying them or trying to incorporate a scene into my life (which is quite a feat). Enjoy!

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events


I was a little disappointed with this movie, to be quite frank. Not that it was bad, but I had expected maybe a lot more than what they delivered. The movie was beautiful to look at, reminds me of a Tim Burton flick. Actually, now that I think about it, Burton might've done a better job with the movie than Silberling. But I don't suppose Burton could've spared time to make this movie, what with him being so busy making "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (which, by the way, looks really weird but promising).

Anyway, there were several things I didn't like about the movie. Jim Carrey for one. You'd think I'd be used to his over-the-top performances, but it just didn't mesh very well with the other subdued characters.

Then there were a lot of things that got me really confused. I know this is a series and all, so I'm hoping the next movie in the series will help explain the plot holes in this one. So I'll forgive them for that.

And most importantly, the children were restless in the movie theater. I've noticed that when a movie is good, the children will shut up and pay attention. When it's a bad movie, the children will move about, fidget, and talk throughout the movie. In this one, kids all around me were talking nonstop. Could be just a coincidence that the kids today were just unruly, but then again I could be right in my observation also. Who knows. Kids are unfathomable.

Overall, I guess I can say that I enjoyed it. But what do I know? :-D